If yes, and you are under 18 years old, YOU ARE A YOUNG CARER!
- feel that you miss out on things after school and at weekends because you have to help someone at home?
- worry about how your relative is behaving or feeling and do you worry about leaving them alone?
- worry about what might happen to your family if you talk to somebody about any of these things?
If you take on responsibilities at home because someone in your family is disabled, has been ill for a long time, or has problems with mental health, drugs or alcohol then you may be a young carer and Herefordshire Young Carers may be able to support you.
Herefordshire Carers Support offers Young Carers:
- Fun! We have regular clubs, trips and outings where you can have time out from your caring responsibilities and meet other people like yourself
- Individual support on a one to one basis
- Help and advice for you and your family
- Your own website where you can find information or talk to other young carers in a safe online environment
- Young Carers Forum: A group which meets to make sure your voice is heard by the people who make decisions that affect you, like MPs, teachers, doctors, youth and social care workers.
Young carers are often not identified because families do not come forward to access help. Many are coping on their own, and many more may be unaware of the support that is available. Many fear involvement with services – or they may feel embarrassed about their situation.
Herefordshire Carers Support are here to help!