Going into hospital is a worrying time for any of us. It can be even harder for someone who has a learning disability. If you’re looking after an adult or child with a learning disability, follow these tips to make a hospital stay go smoothly.
- Preparing a person with a learning disability for hospital
- Check if the hospital has a learning disability liaison nurse
- Let the hospital know about the learning disability in advance
- Fill out a ‘hospital passport’
- Let staff know if there are any communication problems