Carer’s Credit

You could get Carer’s Credit if you’re caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week.

opengraph-imageCarer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps with gaps in your National Insurance record. Your State Pension is based on your National Insurance record.

Your income, savings or investments won’t affect eligibility for Carer’s Credit.

If you’re eligible for Carer’s Credit, you can get credits to help fill gaps in your National Insurance record.

This means you can take on caring responsibilities without affecting your ability to qualify for the State Pension.


To get Carer’s Credit you must be:

  • aged 16 or over
  • under State Pension age
  • looking after one or more people for at least 20 hours a week

The person you’re looking after must get one of the following:

  • Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment – daily living component, at the standard or enhanced rate
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

If the person you’re caring for doesn’t get one of these benefits, you may still be able to get Carer’s Credit. When you apply, fill in the ‘Care Certificate’ part of the application form and get a health or social care professional to sign it.

Carers who don’t qualify for Carer’s Allowance may qualify for Carer’s Credit.

Breaks in caring and eligibility

You can still get Carer’s Credit even if you have breaks from caring (up to 12 weeks in a row).

For example, you’ll still get Carer’s Credit for 12 weeks if:

  • you take a short holiday
  • someone you look after goes into hospital
  • you go into hospital

Keep the Carer’s Allowance Unit updated if you have a break in caring of more than 12 weeks in a row.

How to claim

Before you start

You don’t need to apply for Carer’s Credit if you:

  • get Carer’s Allowance – you’ll automatically get credits
  • get Child Benefit for a child under the age of 12 – you’ll automatically get credits
  • are a foster carer – you can apply for National Insurance creditsinstead

Carer’s Credit form

Download the Carer’s Credit claim form.

You can also get the form by contacting the Carer’s Allowance Unit (below).

The form includes a Care Certificate – ask a health or social care professional to sign it for you.

Where to send your form

Carer’s Allowance Unit
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2AB

Carer’s Allowance Unit
Telephone: 0345 608 4321 | Textphone: 0345 604 5312 | Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm | Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

Posted in News
For the latest news and updates please
click here to visit our news page.

Click here to find out what’s on…

<< October 2017 >>
25 26 27 28 29 30 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 1 2 3 4 5

Carer Links… talk to us if you are, or work with: