Every home can be made more dementia-friendly with just a few simple changes.
Simple changes can make a big difference
There are lots of simple, little things that you can do to make your home more dementia-friendly. Here are a few examples:
- As your dementia progresses, you may find it harder to interpret what you see. Simple changes to a room’s colour scheme to make it brighter can often help. Go for strong contrast so that things stand out.
- Improving the lighting at night is also a good idea.
- Look for tripping hazards and remove rugs and low furniture.
- Use noticeboards and calendars to remind you of things you need to do.
- Clocks with easy-to-read faces are available and some will also show whether it is day or night and what day and month it is.
- Leave things out on the kitchen worktop, like tea and coffee, so that they are easy to find.
- Remove any unnecessary mirrors that can sometimes cause confusion.