Financial Support

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a benefit that helps with the extra costs of long-term illness or disability, which can be either physical and/or mental. It is for people over their state pension age.

Carers Allowance

House of Commons Briefing Paper

Carers Credit

You could get Carer’s Credit if you’re caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week.

Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps with gaps in your National Insurance record. Your State Pension is based on your National Insurance record.

Your income, savings or investments won’t affect eligibility for Carer’s Credit.

Direct Payments and Personal Budgets

Herefordshire Council

When your personal budget is in place, you can ask the council to arrange your care for you or you can use a direct payment so that you can arrange your care and support yourself. Depending on your personal circumstances, you might be asked to make a contribution towards your personal budget. People who have savings and capital above £23,250, other than the home they live in, are not eligible for financial assistance towards non-residential care services from Herefordshire Council.

For more help and advice on direct payments, email: [email protected] or call 01432 260060.


Direct payments give you more flexibility over how your care and support is arranged and provided.

If, after a needs assessment, your council decides you need support, you will receive a personal budget. You can choose to receive your personal budget as a direct payment instead of letting the council arrange services for you.

Carers UK

If you, or the person you are looking after, are assessed by the local council/trust as needing support, then you or they have a right to ask for a direct payment instead of having the support arranged by the local council/trust.


Direct payments are local Health and Social Care (HSC) Trust payments for people who have been assessed as needing help from social services, and who would like to arrange and pay for their own care and support services instead of receiving them directly from the local trust.

Disability Living Allowance (Adults)

Incapacity Benefit

Universal Credit

Upfront (Carers UK)

A tool for carers who are new to the maze of benefits and entitlements. Fill in your details, spend a couple of minutes answering questions and be guided to the information you need.

Becoming a Deputy (Carers Trust)

Carers Smart

It is free to sign up and you can get such benefits as:

  • Cash back on shopping from numerous high street retailers
  • Best rates from energy providers
  • Reductions on insurance renewals
  • Discounts on holidays and travel arrangements
  • Reduced price lifestyle activities
  • Free legal advice services

Bedroom Tax

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) and awards are made solely at the Local Authority’s discretion. Payments can only be awarded where there is an entitlement to housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit. Claims must be made by completing a DHP application form and sent electronically to [email protected]

DHP Online Application

DOSH Financial Advocacy

A series of factsheets for family carers who are involved in managing money for a relative.

The factsheets give key information on topics such as benefits and family banking. We hope they will help you better understand your options as a family carer, and to be more confident in supporting your relative with money, now and in the future.

Herefordshire residents encouraged to act fast to access insulation funding

Herefordshire households are being encouraged to access funding for loft or cavity wall insulation before new rules change who will qualify for grants. The Council’s energy advice service, Keep Herefordshire Warm can help.

This summer, householders who require insulation could qualify for a grant towards the cost of works. There is no need to be in receipt of benefits or on a low income. In future, scheme changes mean that only low income households will qualify for grants.

For more information and to register for funding, contact the Keep Herefordshire Warm team for free on 0800 677 1785. Alternatively email [email protected] . If you’re unsure about the status of insulation in your property, the team can help.

Marches Energy Agency

Lasting Power of Attorney (Carers Trust)

Lasting Power of Attorney (Kidwells)

Your National Insurance (NI) record is a summary of the NI contributions paid through work, or credits awarded when you are unable to work. It is used to work out your entitlement to some state benefits, eg State Pension.

Avoiding Scams and Fraud

Specialist Employability Support is intensive support and training to help you into work if you’re disabled.

You can apply if other employment programmes and schemes, such as Access to Work, are not suitable for you.

To apply you must:

You’ll usually get Specialist Employability Support for 12 months.

The person you care for may want to register with the Vulnerability Registration Service so that organisations that check the register, such as financial services, will know that they are vulnerable when they deal with them.

Vulnerability Registration Service

Making a Will (Carers Trust)


Pogim was set up in 2015 by Youth Friendly as a non-profit organisation that works to promote community, belonging, resilience and wellbeing.  Pogim have created a set of films about money for Young Carers which can be viewed online using the link to the right.